NEPCon’s activities and services in Estonia are growing significantly. We are therefore seeking an experienced and enthusiastic team member to support the provision of Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP) and FSC® Controlled Wood certification audits, as well as delivering EU Timber Regulation due diligence services. The role will include providing certification and support services to a portfolio of clients in the Estonian timber sector and beyond.
This position includes working under 3 innovative work areas:
- Sustainable Biomass: Supporting the expansion of the growing SBP certification system. This role will include auditing and training against the SBP standards.
- FSC CoC & Controlled Wood: This role will include auditing against the FSC CoC and Controlled Wood (CW) standards, to assess a company’s due diligence system and measures put in place to avoid sourcing controversial timber. The role may include auditing against PEFC CoC standards also.
- LegalSource: Assessing company compliance against the NEPCon LegalSource standard, as well as providing support to colleagues by conducting supply chain risk assessments against EUTR and other legality/sustainability criteria.
The tasks in the position are stimulating and multi-faceted, including:
- Auditing: Planning and executing audits according to accredited certification schemes, such as FSC Controlled Wood and SBP, as well as NEPCon’s own LegalSource Standard.
- Auditing against the FSC CoC and Controlled Wood standards, SBP certification standards and LegalSource Standard;
- Task managing and/or conducting supplier factory audits and forest management audits;
- Review of companies’ due diligence systems and internal auditing programmes.
- Consultancy: Support our clients to meet the requirements of the EUTR, prepare for legality and biomass assessments or to create and implement an overarching sustainability strategy.
- Conducting EUTR Risk Assessments and Supply Base Evaluations;
- Reviewing supply chain risk assessments and due diligence systems;
- Conducting Gap Analyses of company due diligence systems;
- Arranging timber testing for origin and species identification.
- Training: Delivering legality and sustainability training sessions at client organisations as well representing NEPCon at certain events.
- Sales: Identifying potential sales opportunities with new and existing clients. Providing technical sales support to the Estonia Country Manager and the Responsible Sourcing Team.
- Internal support: Providing technical expertise and assistance on timber legality, sustainability and certification queries to NEPCon’s global network of auditors, as well as conducting quality review of audit reports and risk assessments.
You will be joining the team of 14 highly dedicated colleagues working in our Estonia office, and the rest of the 100+ NEPCon staff worldwide.
- You hold a university degree (BSc or MSc) in the field of forestry, biology, geography, environmental management, law, international development, international policy, or related field.
- You are required to have at least 2 years of work experience in the timber processing/trading sector, certification sector or related field.
- You are fluent in Estonian and English (our organisational language), and have excellent verbal and written communication skills in both. It is an advantage if you also have professional working proficiency in Russian language (written and spoken).
- You have knowledge of Sustainable Biomass Programme (SBP) and/or FSC certification systems.
- You have a good understanding of risk-based approaches to legality and sustainability assessments.
- You are a proficient user of the MS Office package and have good general knowledge of administrative IT systems.
- Strong numeracy is a requirement: you have competence and understanding of numerical data, statistical calculations and volume data.
- You have a valid driving license (as this will be necessary for some client visits).
Any of the below would be an additional asset, but is not a requirement:
- Awareness of issues surrounding timber legality, High Conservation Values (HCVs) or traditional and civil rights in the forest sector.
- Experience implementing/auditing SBP Certification, FSC Controlled Wood, and/or EU Timber Regulation due diligence systems. For example, as a 3rd party auditor or internal auditor.
- Experience working within a biomass company (e.g. pellet mill or biomass power station) or other timber industry company (sawmill, timber trader, pulp mill, etc).
- Experience working as a forest engineer, implementing sustainable forestry practices in the field for a forest management company.
- Experience working within an international NGO or as an environmental lawyer, focussing on environmental and social issues (illegal logging, customary rights, land tenure, HCVs).
- Experience working within an environmental consultancy role, providing training and support services to professional companies on responsible sourcing or as an in-house Sustainability Manager for an end-user/ retail company, sourcing timber products.
- You have your own car (as this may be necessary for some client visits).
- Experience using Salesforce CRM software.
As a Responsible Sourcing Specialist, you will need to find the balance between serving the clients and at the same time not compromising the independent role of an auditor. As a person, you must have a high level of integrity and business ethics combined with customer service skills. On top of that:
- You are comfortable travelling nationwide (and internationally) as part of your job role.
- You possess a high level of self-discipline, an ability to organise and manage yourself and your time, as well as making independent decisions, as the nature of the job requires you to work independently (often remotely from your colleagues) and meet deadlines.
- You have an analytical approach, so you are able to identify non-conformity with certification standards.
- You are an open and friendly person, who likes – and is good at – communicating with people on all levels.
- You are a robust and structured person, who has demonstrated that you can balance multiple tasks and deliver high quality work on time.
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You are comfortable with your line manager being located in a different country.
- You are comfortable communicating frequently with colleagues around the world via skype and telephone.
- You believe in NEPCon’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- The position refers to our Director of Responsible Sourcing
- Working location: NEPCon’s office in Tartu, Estonia
- Salary commensurate with qualifications
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
- International training in certification services provided by NEPCon
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of NEPCon through the annual General Assembly
- Potential international travel opportunities.
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 17 June 2018 via the form below.
NEPCon wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Oliver Cupit, Director of Responsible Sourcing, email: oc(at)nepcon.org, tel.: +44 (0)7766 55 35 33, or Asko Lust, Chain of Custody and Forest Management Auditor, email: alu(at)nepcon.org, tel.: +372 556 53 894.